Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Time to Move On


"To everything there is a season, and a time for every matter or purpose under heaven: A time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to pluck up what is planted. A time to kill and a time to heal, a time to break down and a time to build up. A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance. A time to cast away stones and a time to gather stones together, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing. A time to get and a time to lose, a time to keep and a time to cast away. A time to rend and a time to sew, a time to keep silence and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace" (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 AMP).

When I first heard those words I think it was on a commercial, then I became familiar with the song by Pete Seeger, Turn Turn Turn. I had no idea that he was singing scripture. I think this is one of the most comforting love letters God gives us in the Bible. He is telling us we will feel all these emotions even when we don't want to like hatred. We will mourn, but after a time we will dance. There will be times we will need to hold on to something or someone tight, and there will be times we need to let go even if we do not want to. I am at one of those times in my life. Lately I have suffered from Can't Say No Syndrome and have overloaded my life. It has come to the point where I am spending less time with God and that is just not acceptable.

I have decided I need to wipe the slate clean and re-prioritize even if it means cutting things I love. So, after much prayer I have decided this will be my last article for Single Moms. Writing for Take Root and Write has been one of the most fun and exciting experiences of my life. When I prayed for a way to become useful, God sent me a wonderful visionary Noelle Mena. She gave me this opportunity a little over a year ago, and it has been such a blessing. Lately I just have not had the time to give this column my best, which also is just not acceptable. I still can not wait to meet her in person!

When I prayed for Godly women to come into my life, He sent me the fabulous Shona Neff, who became the editor of this powerhouse magazine you are enjoying today. I have been fortunate to have lunch or dinner with her every now and then when she makes it to town. She truly is a gem and I love keeping in touch with her on Face-book! She always has something nice or funny to say. If you are not her friend yet, I highly recommend it!

"Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10 NLT). This is such an important commandment. It is so easy to get caught up doing what we think is the right thing or what we think will be a blessing. If we get too busy to hear His voice, how will we truly know? I started a blog last year as well just to connect with other Christian women. I have found so many amazing sites and have learned so much, but that too has gone by the wayside. I can't tell you how long it has been since I have visited my page on Christian Women Take Root! I miss going in there and praying with you all.

If we allow ourselves to get burned out, we are not giving our best to the ones we love the most, God and our family. Yes we may be at all the church events but are we there mentally and emotionally or just physically? Are we too exhausted to be friendly and caring? Are we really fulfilling God's purpose for our lives? Don't lose touch with the director of your steps, who keeps you from falling.

This is especially tricky for single moms who already do the full time parenting of two people. Remember that your kids are your first full time job. You are to train them up and guide them, leading by example. Every minute that you are too busy to spend with them is a minute you will never get back. "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans," John Lennon. If you have let this happen to you, take your life back.

I have been asking God what I need to do and He always tells me the same thing. "Read the word." I scold myself for trying to walk in front of Him, looking back for an occasional "Which way"? Walking beside Him and sometimes letting Him carry you, is really the only way to go! So while I will miss sharing with you all on a bi-weekly basis, I feel this is my time to step back. I hope to still hear from you all, and I will still enjoy reading all you have to share. Who knows, maybe one day I will be able to come back and write for this amazing ministry again. Only God knows His plans for me.

So this was my last article for Take Root and Write...for now.

No comments: